
So I was watching TV tonight, or rather listening to it in the background while managing through the dinner process, when I heard something that drew my attention. It was something that everyone loves to remind us about living here. The rain. In fact, for the most part we haven't really had a lot of rain since we've been here. Honestly, probably no more than we've had in other places we've lived. And it's probably because of that, that I have a really great friend at work that reminds me constantly that we're having quite a honeymoon (meaning it's pretty amazing we've escaped the constant rain for so long). Funny little fact...I remember our first couple months out in Virginia and hearing on the news that we had passed Seattle in rain for that year.

Anyways, the commercial said that Seattle gets 150 days of rain each year. So just when I was about to tune it out, dismissively thinking, "Whatever, I'm from Alaska, this weather is nothing..." then I got the message: "Aren't We So Lucky?"

Here we are in our cushy homes, food on the table, and a seemingly endless supply of water (at least in the fridge, on tap, and the potential to fall from the sky). And there are so many, Ethiopia included, that are less fortunate, where water has turned to sand, wells have dried up, and rainfall has drastically decreased.
Sort of puts it into perspective, doesn't it?

No comments:
Post a Comment